What is an Immersion Program?
An Immersion Program provides acceleration students with the deepest possible exposure to a second language and culture. In the program:
English-speaking students in Years 8-10 receive 50% of the curriculum in the second language
Key Learning Areas such as Maths, SOSE and Food Technology Studies, are taught in the second language.
Immersion programs develop:
a very high level of language proficiency, linguistic skills and intercultural understanding
cognitive processes needed in other areas of learning
resilience and confidence through personal enrichment and challenges
enhanced listening and thinking skills
improved study skills, self-discipline, motivation and confidence
more flexible and creative problem-solving skills
an increased understanding of how languages work, including an improved understanding of the English language
improved career and travel opportunities both in Australia and overseas
a positive group identity leading to improved relationships amongst students and also their teachers
strong partnerships with parents, teachers & the wider community
effective life learning experiences
understanding of others & raises awareness of other cultures.
What personal characteristics make a successful Immersion learner?
Students gain greatest success from an Immersion Program if they exhibit the following personal characteristics:
- enthusiastic participants and learners
- motivated to achieve
- self-confident and self-disciplined
- high level of perseverance
- able to be flexible
- enjoys a challenge
- demonstrated ability in literacy and numeracy
- committed and capable of developing independent learning skills
Why Spanish Immersion?
- After English, Spanish is the fastest growing European language. It is currently the third most spoken language in the world with over 450 million Spanish speakers in the world.
- Develop personal growth with skills to be a global citizen.
- Increase ability to communicate with other people.
- Murrumba State Secondary College is committed in providing students with a world-class education. The Spanish Immersion Program establishes our ongoing commitment to innovatively enrich student-learning areas and support their success.
- Future Pathways for Murrumba SSC Immersion students will include undertaking Spanish Extension in Year 11 & 12, attending head start University courses or studying abroad.
- Offers an exciting opportunity to reach high level of academic achievement & participation.